Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Bunselpower
Project Manager
Bunselpower

Male

RMT: Mega Gyarados is the best Mega  Empty
PostSubject: RMT: Mega Gyarados is the best Mega    RMT: Mega Gyarados is the best Mega  EmptyWed Feb 18, 2015 2:55 pm

Hello all, I've recently been making a foray back into competitive after a hiatus, and I'm looking to use this team to climb to the top!

Well not really, but I would like to put it in here and see if anyone has any suggestions to make it better. Plus talking it out really helps, just doing this has helped me see a few things already.

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Adamant Nature
Intimidate
252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
-Waterfall
-Earthquake
-Dragon Dance
-Taunt

100% sure that Gyarados is staying. It just rolls through way too much stuff. He's the dude around which I built the team, and Taunt is just the best, especially on a Mold Breaker Pokémon.

Venusaur @ Assault Vest
Modest Nature
Overgrow
252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
-Giga Drain
-Sludge Bomb
-HP Rock
-Knock Off

I really like Venusaur on this team, because it synergizes super well with Gyarados. It stops all of Gyarados' checks, namely Keldeo, Azumarill, Rotom-W, etc. It's kind of a surprise AV user, as it has Giga Drain and Knock Off and great typing, but on this team, it looks like it should be the mega. I carry HP Rock for stuff like Talonflame because something else on my team is more likely to lure in Steel Types. Do you guys think that Chlorophyll would be worth it? I know Charizard Y is really good, but is it used frequently enough to outshine the extra HP?

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
Water Absorb
252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpD
-Scald
-Wish
-Protect
-Heal Bell

It wouldn't be a Bunselpower team without a Cleric, and Vaporeon was one I really wanted to try out. I knew Umbreon wouldn't work because my two main attackers are already weak to Fairy, so I almost went with Sylveon. Boy, I'm glad I didn't. Vaporeon and Mega Gyarados put in the most work out of all my Pokémon this past round.

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
Levitate
252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
-Draco Meteor
-Psyshock
-HP Fire
-Roost

This is one that fits with Mega Gyarados on paper really well, but I'm having trouble seeing all of the benefits. He's not doing what I thought he would, and I'm thinking of dropping him to be honest. I really want a fast instant offense type of Pokémon, and I haven't battled all that much, so maybe I should just be patient.

Forretress @ Custap Berry
Relaxed Nature
Sturdy
248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
-Gyro Ball
-Stealth Rock
-Spikes
-Rapid Spin

Forretress has always been a favorite of mine, and now with Custap, it can serve as a late game emergency pull cord. It can come in on something with a little HP and kill it, it can get me up some late game hazards, or it can remove the hazards from my side of the field all thanks to the recently released Custap Berry.

Talonflame @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
Gale Wings
252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
-Brave Bird
-Flare Blitz
-Roost
-U-Turn

I'm the least sure about Talonflame, he ended up on my team because he is Fire type and has priority. But he opens up an electric weakness, one I don't particularly like. And it seems like Talonflame isn't really being that effective to be honest.

So here's the team. I really like the first three, they did amazing work. But the last three, I could probably do without if anyone has a better idea, and if anyone has a better suggestion for the first three, I would love to hear it, I'm not opposed to changing them. I love hazards, so ideally I would love to have a Rapid Spinner as opposed to a Defogger. Plus, a lot of good Defog users can only get that move through 4th gen, and I'd ideally like this team to be one that I can construct in ORAS.

Ideas I had was to drop Forretress for Excadrill and get something else to get up hazards, maybe Heatran (who can also be a phaser and a dedicated special wall, or I can turn him into an attacker). Another one that came up was Mamoswine with Stealth Rock instead of Freeze Dry, as it would help against what I think is kind of a problem in Gliscor, give the team much needed priority, and losing Freeze Dry isn't a huge deal because I have Venusaur for Rotom-W. I would really like to have Spikes on the team though, which is why Forretress is so very valuable because he does it all. My best idea right now is to get Heatran and Mamoswine in lieu of Talonflame and Latios.

Thanks for the help!
Back to top Go down
Mademoiselle C
Goddess
Mademoiselle C

Female

PostSubject: Re: RMT: Mega Gyarados is the best Mega    RMT: Mega Gyarados is the best Mega  EmptyWed Feb 18, 2015 5:17 pm

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
Levitate
252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
-Draco Meteor
-Psyshock
-HP Fire
-Defog

Heatran @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
Flash Fire
248 HP / 220 SpD / 40 Spe
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Protect
- Toxic

And then either Landorus, Gliscor or Mamoswine.
Back to top Go down
Bunselpower
Project Manager
Bunselpower

Male

PostSubject: Re: RMT: Mega Gyarados is the best Mega    RMT: Mega Gyarados is the best Mega  EmptyWed Feb 18, 2015 6:12 pm

But Lando makes me want to cry...

I really hate to lose rapid spin, because I feel like I don't get hit very hard by rocks other than getting gyarados in. But there aren't a lot of options.

I'll definitely work these two in, I want Heatran because I see gardevoir possibly being a problem, that may be the only thing I really have to worry about, Heatran could wrap the team up nicely with roar over stealth rock to be a nice phaser. Lots of testing ahead!
Back to top Go down
Mademoiselle C
Goddess
Mademoiselle C

Female

PostSubject: Re: RMT: Mega Gyarados is the best Mega    RMT: Mega Gyarados is the best Mega  EmptyWed Feb 18, 2015 11:20 pm

Use defog on Latios and you won't need Rapid Spin. Imo Forretress is a waste of a spot. And if you want Roar on Heatran you can have stealth rocks on Mamoswine or Landorus.
Back to top Go down
Bunselpower
Project Manager
Bunselpower

Male

PostSubject: Re: RMT: Mega Gyarados is the best Mega    RMT: Mega Gyarados is the best Mega  EmptyThu Feb 19, 2015 9:21 am

After facing a stall team last night, and one whose intent was to waste time, I realized that taunt on gyarados isn't really a stall breaker because of stuff like Ferrothorn that he can't break through. So I've decided to try the trapping Heatran set. I've always wanted to try it, and I'm thinking about getting a setup sweeper that complements gyarados so I can get a clean switch from Heatran.

Question for the group, does anyone know if magma storm will trap a foe with flash fire? Smogon made it sound like it would, but I'm not sure.

Also, Forretress gets hazards up like no other, but he does lack that offensive presence, so I'm going to swap him out for something. Just don't know what yet...the answer will probably arise from what gives me trouble with Heatran on the team.
Back to top Go down
bash678
Breeder
bash678

Male

PostSubject: Re: RMT: Mega Gyarados is the best Mega    RMT: Mega Gyarados is the best Mega  EmptyThu Feb 19, 2015 10:31 am

Bunselpower wrote:

Question for the group, does anyone know if magma storm will trap a foe with flash fire? Smogon made it sound like it would, but I'm not sure.  

I could be wrong but I don't think so. A Pokémon can only be trapped with it if the move hits. Magma Storm wouldn't even hit a Flash Fire Pokémon in the first place due to immunity.
Back to top Go down
Bunselpower
Project Manager
Bunselpower

Male

PostSubject: Re: RMT: Mega Gyarados is the best Mega    RMT: Mega Gyarados is the best Mega  EmptyThu Feb 19, 2015 10:42 am

That was my thought too. I'm sure someone along the way will switch in Heatran, so I'll find out tonight probably.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RMT: Mega Gyarados is the best Mega    RMT: Mega Gyarados is the best Mega  Empty

Back to top Go down

RMT: Mega Gyarados is the best Mega
Page 1 of 1