6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Mademoiselle C
Goddess
Mademoiselle C

Female

First OU Team! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: First OU Team!   First OU Team! - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 16, 2014 3:21 pm

First topic message reminder :

First OU Team!

This is the first OU Team created in this section! Very Happy

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 248 HP / 24 Def / 236 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
- Substitute
- Protect

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Toxic

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 220 SpD / 40 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Protect
- Toxic

Azumarill @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Power-Up Punch
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Rest

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Sludge Bomb

Alakazam @ Alakazite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Taunt

Gliscor: Acts as the main physical wall.

Rotom-W: Used primarily as a defensive Pivot and to cripple threats with status.

Heatran: Acts as the main special wall, sets up rocks if it gets a chance, carries a good fire move for Scizor and Skarmory and Ferrothorn and stuff, and it can do some toxic stalling.

Azumarill: Sets up, rests, then attempts to sweep. Can revenge kill with Aqua Jet.

Tangrowth: Bunsel wants an Assault Vest pokemon. It can deal with Rotom-W and Regenerator + Giga Drain + awesome bulk makes it annoying as hell.

Mega Alakazam: Main Special Offensive threat. Trace allows you to pull off some pretty cool strategies.

Last edited by Mademoiselle C on Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:12 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Mademoiselle C
Goddess
Mademoiselle C

Female

PostSubject: Re: First OU Team!   First OU Team! - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 21, 2014 10:18 am

There's no way I'm using Fire Blast when it can learn Flamethrower. Also I think Psychic would be better, mostly because Conkeldurr and other fighting type that you'll want to counter with Slowbro have a better defense than special defense. Blissey isn't really a problem this gen so I don't think Psyshock is as useful as it used to be.
And I would probably invest in special attack, but I would still invest in bulk too, since the main goal is to be able to switch in and out many times and last as long as possible. This team wears out its opponents slowly with strategy and good prediction, it doesn't really need to deal big damage.
Back to top Go down
Bunselpower
Project Manager
Bunselpower

Male

PostSubject: Re: First OU Team!   First OU Team! - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 21, 2014 10:35 am

Right, I just mean it's bulk is good enough to do that. And yeah, any fire move is good, I just prefer the power.

To Conkeldurr, I disagree, because its special bulk is actually higher with assault vest, which it always runs, and you aren't going to be switching in on it, because it out speeds you and carries knock off.

Mawile has a better option I think for boosting in swords dance, especially if we're running substitute. I like either iron head or fire fang for the last slot, but sub on a Mega is always a good option.
Back to top Go down
Bunselpower
Project Manager
Bunselpower

Male

PostSubject: Re: First OU Team!   First OU Team! - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 21, 2014 10:47 am

Just ran a Calc, damage is virtually the same between the two on Conkeldurr, so it's preference at that point. I just like it as a way to get around the specially defensive stuff (like assault vest users) that come in. Just gives it a little more flexibility. But I'm open to both.

If love to hear the thoughts of some other people from the community Smile
Back to top Go down
Dragon-Flower
Cloner
Dragon-Flower

PostSubject: Re: First OU Team!   First OU Team! - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 21, 2014 10:50 am

As much as i love Mega Gardevoir, Mega Mawile is the superior fairy Very Happy *happiness for all*

My Mega Mawile set is this, it works very well for me (i'll post why seperately):
Mawile (F) @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Fire Fang
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
Back to top Go down
Mademoiselle C
Goddess
Mademoiselle C

Female

PostSubject: Re: First OU Team!   First OU Team! - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 21, 2014 10:57 am

In my experience the sub is really necessary, and also Power-Up Punch adds coverage while boosting. Just Play Rough and Sucker Punch isn't enough, 3 attacks are just as necessary as sub is, so in my opinion this is the best compromise. I've had a lot of success with this set on many different teams.

One situation that happens very often is this: you switch in on a pokemon that is obviously not going to stay in, which gives you a free move. You look at your opponent's team and try to predict what he's going to send in, and you use either substitute or Power-Up Punch depending on what it is.

Very often, they're going to send in Heatran, so you can use Power-Up Punch and already deal a lot of damage to it so that Sucker Punch will be able to finish the job. Power-Up Punch followed by Sucker Punch is a guaranteed KO on a max HP specially defensive Heatran (about 40-50% from Power-Up Punch, and then about 60-70% from +1 Sucker Punch), while +2 Sucker Punch has no chance at all to OHKO, which means you can't stay in if they have a Heatran.

For some reason, Power-Up Punch is so underrated, which is sad because it's actually really good (although i admit a big part of why it's so good is because people don't expect and/or don't fear it because it's underrated).
Back to top Go down
Bunselpower
Project Manager
Bunselpower

Male

PostSubject: Re: First OU Team!   First OU Team! - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 21, 2014 11:03 am

Alright, let's go for it. I'm perfectly fine with using moves if I get a good reason to do so. I love unexpected sets. I like power up punch too, I just don't see too many situations where it works really well.
Back to top Go down
Dragon-Flower
Cloner
Dragon-Flower

PostSubject: Re: First OU Team!   First OU Team! - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 21, 2014 11:15 am

Mademoiselle C wrote:
In my experience the sub is really necessary, and also Power-Up Punch adds coverage while boosting. Just Play Rough and Sucker Punch isn't enough, 3 attacks are just as necessary as sub is, so in my opinion this is the best compromise. I've had a lot of success with this set on many different teams.

One situation that happens very often is this: you switch in on a pokemon that is obviously not going to stay in, which gives you a free move. You look at your opponent's team and try to predict what he's going to send in, and you use either substitute or Power-Up Punch depending on what it is.

Very often, they're going to send in Heatran, so you can use Power-Up Punch and already deal a lot of damage to it so that Sucker Punch will be able to finish the job. Power-Up Punch followed by Sucker Punch is a guaranteed KO on a max HP specially defensive Heatran (about 40-50% from Power-Up Punch, and then about 60-70% from +1 Sucker Punch), while +2 Sucker Punch has no chance at all to OHKO, which means you can't stay in if they have a Heatran.

For some reason, Power-Up Punch is so underrated, which is sad because it's actually really good (although i admit a big part of why it's so good is because people don't expect and/or don't fear it because it's underrated).

Power Up Punch is good only for if it's Super Effective to be honest, with an Azumarill i found it to be extremely redundant (but this is Mawile so i guess it's different since it has different checks and counters). 40 BP can be sometimes okay at best (never used it on Mawile so i guess it helps with Steel types). I can see how your set works, but in my experience mine is also effective. Maybe not as good as this but Priority Sucker Punch +2 Boosts has wrecked teams and saved me from losses before, with base 50 speed, priority helps a lot. But i concede Smile i haven't tried it so i don't know, but i guess i'm all for it Very Happy

EDIT: looked back on this and found 90000 spelling mistakes that i just fixed now...this is what happens when you want to write something without being ninja'd

Last edited by Dragon-Flower on Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Bunselpower
Project Manager
Bunselpower

Male

PostSubject: Re: First OU Team!   First OU Team! - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 21, 2014 11:30 am

There's a reason yours is more used dragon, it's very effective. I think this set she has is aimed at easing prediction. I did realize that the normal set can't handle Heatran very well, so if that's what we're after, this set definitely accomplishes that.
Back to top Go down
Mademoiselle C
Goddess
Mademoiselle C

Female

PostSubject: Re: First OU Team!   First OU Team! - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 21, 2014 12:56 pm

Dragon your all-out offensive set is probably the one most people use, and like Bunsel said, there's definitely a reason for that: it's effective. The thing is, everybody expects it, so you have to use it well enough to make it effective despite your opponent knowing exactly what you're up to, which can be a challenge when you reach a high ranking and have to face good opponents who actually know how to deal with common threats like Mega Mawile.

That's the reason why I like to try out original stuff: it adds an element of surprise that can make all the difference in a close match. An advanced player won't expect you to be able to beat Heatran with Mega Mawile, so if you do, it gives you a huge advantage.

I find substitute to be very important as it prevents burns and allows you to survive an Earthquake or a Flamethrower so that you can KO a threat that you wouldn't have been able to OHKO with Sucker Punch. And although I agree that Power-Up Punch has crappy base power, it does add just enough coverage to be able to deal with Heatran and some other threats, which can make a difference, and like I said, it's actually a compromise between coverage and boosting your attack.
Back to top Go down
Bunselpower
Project Manager
Bunselpower

Male

PostSubject: Re: First OU Team!   First OU Team! - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 21, 2014 5:18 pm

Just played another slow team, started off shaky, but got down to a Heatran and Tangrowth vs Ferrothorn and Azumarill. Ended up calling his bluff and nailed Azumarill when he got too ambitious with a double switch. Heck of a battle. Team looks solid though.
Back to top Go down
Bunselpower
Project Manager
Bunselpower

Male

PostSubject: Re: First OU Team!   First OU Team! - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 21, 2014 7:05 pm

Some thoughts after logging 6 or so battles.

I believe I'm 5-1, and probably 2 of those wins were pure prediction on my part. The thing that is killing me is indirect damage, status being the major thing. This team either needs a status sponge like Conkeldurr or a Cleric. That is what's killing my Regenerator core. Other than that, it really is tough to break.

Mawile is putting in WORK. No lie, it is ripping stuff to shreds. Being that it is your only offensive presence, though, make sure you play carefully.
Back to top Go down
Mademoiselle C
Goddess
Mademoiselle C

Female

PostSubject: Re: First OU Team!   First OU Team! - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 21, 2014 8:12 pm

Gliscor is your status sponge, just sayin' XD

But yeah I'm not sure I'm a big fan of the Slowbro. It doesn't seem all that useful so we could replace it by a cleric.

EDIT: Wait, you're using the version with Slowking, or the AV Slowbro? If you're using Slowbro give me your exact set please, cause mine isn't that great. I mean it's fine, but it doesn't seem to fill a necessary role on the team.
Back to top Go down
Bunselpower
Project Manager
Bunselpower

Male

PostSubject: Re: First OU Team!   First OU Team! - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 21, 2014 8:52 pm

I'm using the Slowbro. I'm using a random spread, my phone died, I'm pretty sure I got it to 320 Defense with Bold (just as a starting point) and dumped the rest in Special Attack, at least partially max. however, with the coverage moves we have, I think we need max Special Attack. I want to at least try that before I throw in the towel with it. And yeah, true about Gliscor, but it's a problem when the main status spreader is Rotom. Although, I don't really want to take out anything for less offensive pressure, it's low enough as is.
Back to top Go down
Bunselpower
Project Manager
Bunselpower

Male

PostSubject: Re: First OU Team!   First OU Team! - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 21, 2014 10:45 pm

Max special attack Slowbro is killing it. I'm also running standard toxic on Gliscor and it is working wonders. Switched in on a plus one dragonite and beat it one on one. Of course, the main reason isn't dragonite, but other stuff.
Back to top Go down
Bunselpower
Project Manager
Bunselpower

Male

PostSubject: Re: First OU Team!   First OU Team! - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 26, 2014 11:55 am

So I've done a bit more testing, Mawile is winning games singlehandedly, it's quickly moving up the ranks as far as my favorite mega. Still prefer full Modest Slowbro, and I'm wondering about putting Pain Split on Rotom, because we already (with Gliscor) have two Toxic users on the team.

Last edited by Bunselpower on Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Global Warming.)
Back to top Go down
Bunselpower
Project Manager
Bunselpower

Male

PostSubject: Re: First OU Team!   First OU Team! - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 26, 2014 2:40 pm

Also, the biggest obstacles to this team thus far are Conkeldurr and Greninja.
Back to top Go down
Bunselpower
Project Manager
Bunselpower

Male

PostSubject: Re: First OU Team!   First OU Team! - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 30, 2014 12:59 pm

The team isn't really faring that well. Mawile is doing more than its share of the work, people know what Gliscor does, so he's not super effective. Hazards are killing the switching nature of the team, and status really hinders it.
Back to top Go down
Bunselpower
Project Manager
Bunselpower

Male

PostSubject: Re: First OU Team!   First OU Team! - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 30, 2014 5:16 pm

Mawile is taking down an average of at least 3 pokemon per battle, seriously, the power is unbelievable. Great idea dragon or whoever said we should use it, and great idea mademoiselle on power up punch.

I think what it lacks is an answer to common threats. Greninja and mega Venusaur are giving me fits. I don't have a way to beat them.
Back to top Go down
Dragon-Flower
Cloner
Dragon-Flower

PostSubject: Re: First OU Team!   First OU Team! - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 30, 2014 5:17 pm

Togekiss......

Togekiss......

TOGEKISS! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Bunselpower
Project Manager
Bunselpower

Male

PostSubject: Re: First OU Team!   First OU Team! - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 31, 2014 9:33 am

I love Togekiss, but I don't think it's going to beat those two pokemon.
Back to top Go down
Mademoiselle C
Goddess
Mademoiselle C

Female

PostSubject: Re: First OU Team!   First OU Team! - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 01, 2014 7:09 pm

I must say I'm having a lot of success with that version:

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 248 HP / 24 Def / 236 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
- Substitute
- Protect

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Toxic

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 220 SpD / 40 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Protect
- Toxic

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Ice Punch
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Sludge Bomb

Alakazam @ Alakazite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Taunt

Back to top Go down
Bunselpower
Project Manager
Bunselpower

Male

PostSubject: Re: First OU Team!   First OU Team! - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 02, 2014 1:05 am

Ah, I didn't really try that one. I'm still using the mawile one. Cannot speak highly enough of mawile.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First OU Team!   First OU Team! - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

First OU Team!
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2