HomePokemon SpreadsheetTiersLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament?

Go down 
+5
cmzoid
BlueDryBones1
Mademoiselle C
Dragon-Flower
Magikarpus
9 posters

How many off-type pokemon would we allow in a team?
None, pure monotype!
Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament? I_vote_lcap89%Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament? I_vote_rcap
 89% [ 8 ]
Just the 1 to prevent total steamrolling
Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament? I_vote_lcap0%Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament? I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
2, this needs some sense of balance
Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament? I_vote_lcap11%Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament? I_vote_rcap
 11% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 9

AuthorMessage
Magikarpus
Project Manager
Magikarpus

Male

Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament? Empty
PostSubject: Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament?   Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament? EmptyWed Dec 03, 2014 9:59 am

Team-building with type restrictions can be fun :3 The only (big) problem I can see with such a tourney is that some matchups would be inherently unfair. Dark vs. Ghost? gg. So perhaps it would be better if you were allowed 1 or 2 pokemon in your team that weren't of your chosen type?

I'm thinking standard OU rules, 6v6 singles and all that. Anyone who's interested, sign up here and vote in the poll!
Back to top Go down
Dragon-Flower
Cloner
Dragon-Flower

PostSubject: Re: Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament?   Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament? EmptyWed Dec 03, 2014 10:10 am

I guess i'd take part (for not being left out reasons). I think it'd be okay to have one or two wild cards....probably.

Question: would a mega be allowed to count as its type if the non-mega mon doesn't have the type also? e.g. gyarados and mega gyarados with dark. I'm thinking you can't do that but i could see why it'd be allowed if it was so doesn't hurt to ask.
Back to top Go down
Mademoiselle C
Goddess
Mademoiselle C

Female

PostSubject: Re: Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament?   Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament? EmptyWed Dec 03, 2014 10:58 am

Yes! And pure monotype! My psychic team eats Dark and Ghost teams for breakfast.

As for megas, the official monotype rule is that you can use a mega that has your type if the non-mega doesn't, but you have to mega evolve on the very first turn you switch in, you can't take any actions without mega evolving first.
Back to top Go down
Magikarpus
Project Manager
Magikarpus

Male

PostSubject: Re: Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament?   Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament? EmptyWed Dec 03, 2014 11:32 am

Dragon-Flower wrote:
I guess i'd take part (for not being left out reasons).

Hey, no good Neutral You take part to win!

But yeah, what MC said.
Back to top Go down
BlueDryBones1
Breeder
BlueDryBones1

Male

PostSubject: Re: Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament?   Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament? EmptyWed Dec 03, 2014 11:45 am

I'm interested. I used to run mono-Normal before and been using a mono-bug team in NU that has been working well.

Though I can see their being type vs type in which against a certain type would be unwinnable which could be a problem. Especially if you consider how many legends/pseudo legends are in certain types.

However making all 6 pokes the same type is the way to go. Otherwise why even make it a monotype tournament.
Back to top Go down
Magikarpus
Project Manager
Magikarpus

Male

PostSubject: Re: Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament?   Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament? EmptyWed Dec 03, 2014 12:21 pm

I guess the best way to overcome problems with unfair matchups is to go double elimination then. At least then one bad matchup won't be the end of you. But 2 will :3
Back to top Go down
cmzoid
Cloner
cmzoid

Male

PostSubject: Re: Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament?   Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament? EmptyWed Dec 03, 2014 12:34 pm

BlueDryBones1 wrote:
mono-bug team in NU that has been working well.

Anything Goes or bust

Also, I would probably join Very Happy
Back to top Go down
BlueDryBones1
Breeder
BlueDryBones1

Male

PostSubject: Re: Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament?   Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament? EmptyWed Dec 03, 2014 12:36 pm

Also any team editing allowed mid tourney? I think that it should be ok so long as the team's type doesnt change imo. Makes people learn to work around that types weaknesses instead of giving up on them.

If we can get 18 people to join (impossible I know) we can have everyone choose a different type Surprised

Also what about Ditto/Greninja/Kecleon?
Back to top Go down
Bunselpower
Project Manager
Bunselpower

Male

PostSubject: Re: Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament?   Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament? EmptyWed Dec 03, 2014 1:44 pm

I don't really like mono type that much, but in a tourney format I can see it being fun.

Also, all one type. The point of this kind of team building is to be able to beat other types by not relying on type advantage. It's the point of the tourney.

Also, are we going to draw types out of a hat? There seems the fairest.
Back to top Go down
Magikarpus
Project Manager
Magikarpus

Male

PostSubject: Re: Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament?   Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament? EmptyWed Dec 03, 2014 1:59 pm

Some things that have come up in the chat...

Ditto and the abilities Protean and Color Change are banned as per standard monotype rules.
Once you've chosen your type and team, you are locked into that for the duration of the tourney. No changing between matches.

I see no reason why people can't pick whatever type they'd prefer, assuming they don't tell anyone what type they've chosen until the tourney's started. Although, lol MC. But then we already knew she'd pick Psychic... Neutral
Back to top Go down
Bunselpower
Project Manager
Bunselpower

Male

PostSubject: Re: Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament?   Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament? EmptyWed Dec 03, 2014 2:11 pm

But I mean, if we draw it makes sure no one has the same team. And it forces us to go outside our favorites possibly. Either way, it doesn't matter.

I'm gonna pick a really bad type.
Back to top Go down
Magikarpus
Project Manager
Magikarpus

Male

PostSubject: Re: Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament?   Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament? EmptyWed Dec 03, 2014 2:22 pm

lol. Well I got the impression from chat that people want to pick their own types, and I don't think it's a big deal if a type ends up getting shared. I'm hoping we have a little more imagination between us than to ALL pick the same type...
Back to top Go down
Bunselpower
Project Manager
Bunselpower

Male

PostSubject: Re: Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament?   Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament? EmptyWed Dec 03, 2014 2:28 pm

Cool, cool sounds good.
Back to top Go down
Dragon-Flower
Cloner
Dragon-Flower

PostSubject: Re: Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament?   Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament? EmptyWed Dec 03, 2014 2:47 pm

#everyone4psychic2014
Back to top Go down
BlueDryBones1
Breeder
BlueDryBones1

Male

PostSubject: Re: Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament?   Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament? EmptyWed Dec 03, 2014 6:49 pm

Magikarpus wrote:
Some things that have come up in the chat...

Ditto and the abilities Protean and Color Change are banned as per standard monotype rules.
Once you've chosen your type and team, you are locked into that for the duration of the tourney. No changing between matches.

I see no reason why people can't pick whatever type they'd prefer, assuming they don't tell anyone what type they've chosen until the tourney's started. Although, lol MC. But then we already knew she'd pick Psychic... Neutral

Saw a Protean Kecleon while on Monotype. Are we sure its banned? o.o
Back to top Go down
Magikarpus
Project Manager
Magikarpus

Male

PostSubject: Re: Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament?   Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament? EmptyWed Dec 03, 2014 6:55 pm

Hey, you raised the issue Neutral I'm just going on what MC said.
Back to top Go down
CalicoJack94
Breeder
CalicoJack94

Male

PostSubject: Re: Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament?   Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament? EmptyWed Dec 03, 2014 7:49 pm

I'm down, regardless of format.
Back to top Go down
bash678
Breeder
bash678

Male

PostSubject: Re: Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament?   Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament? EmptyThu Dec 04, 2014 8:41 am

I'll participate too. 6x6 Singles isn't my thing but I'm eager to give to a try with a monotype restriction.
Back to top Go down
Dragon-Flower
Cloner
Dragon-Flower

PostSubject: Re: Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament?   Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament? EmptyThu Dec 04, 2014 9:53 am

>remembered it's singles
>sighed deeply
Back to top Go down
Bunselpower
Project Manager
Bunselpower

Male

PostSubject: Re: Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament?   Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament? EmptyThu Dec 04, 2014 9:54 am

Singles is the original. Don't hate.
Back to top Go down
Dragon-Flower
Cloner
Dragon-Flower

PostSubject: Re: Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament?   Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament? EmptyThu Dec 04, 2014 12:51 pm

Bunselpower wrote:
Singles is the original. Don't hate.

Isn't doubles the official format?

(also singles is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo long)
Back to top Go down
Mademoiselle C
Goddess
Mademoiselle C

Female

PostSubject: Re: Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament?   Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament? EmptyThu Dec 04, 2014 12:56 pm

Dragon, let me tell you a story.

Once upon a time, there were games called Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver and Crystal and the Doubles format didn't even exist.

The end.

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Bunselpower
Project Manager
Bunselpower

Male

PostSubject: Re: Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament?   Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament? EmptyThu Dec 04, 2014 1:15 pm

No matter what GameFreak does, 6v6 is the essence of Pokemon. So much more fun than doubles.
Back to top Go down
Dragon-Flower
Cloner
Dragon-Flower

PostSubject: Re: Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament?   Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament? EmptyThu Dec 04, 2014 1:38 pm

Mademoiselle C wrote:
Dragon, let me tell you a story.

Once upon a time, there were games called Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver and Crystal and the Doubles format didn't even exist.

The end.

Very Happy

They fixed the problem.
Back to top Go down
Dragon-Flower
Cloner
Dragon-Flower

PostSubject: Re: Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament?   Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament? EmptyThu Dec 04, 2014 1:38 pm

Bunselpower wrote:
So much more fun than doubles.

lol....
Back to top Go down
Dragon-Flower
Cloner
Dragon-Flower

PostSubject: Re: Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament?   Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament? EmptyThu Dec 04, 2014 1:39 pm

Ok i'll stop now i'm sorry

EDIT: my bugs bunny picture makes it seem like it's not genuine but i guarantee i mean it (despite it also making it look like this is a joke)
Back to top Go down
Dragon-Flower
Cloner
Dragon-Flower

PostSubject: Re: Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament?   Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament? EmptyThu Dec 04, 2014 1:59 pm

Also can i use missingno and bird type?
Back to top Go down
Magikarpus
Project Manager
Magikarpus

Male

PostSubject: Re: Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament?   Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament? EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 11:48 am

Ok, so 8 of us is a good number. For convenience's sake, I assume people would prefer to do this in Showdown, although it would be nice to get a chance to use the pokemon we've been breeding at some point :3

bash678
BlueDryBones1
Bunselpower
CalicoJack94
cmzoid
Dragon-Flower
Mademoiselle C
Magikarpus

Just to confirm, everyone in this list wants to enter ya? If so I'll generate a bracket and we can go at it.
Back to top Go down
Mademoiselle C
Goddess
Mademoiselle C

Female

PostSubject: Re: Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament?   Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament? EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 1:57 pm

Meeeehhhhh pls wait until my finals are over. XD

Also I have my team both on Showdown and on XY so I don't mind either way.
Back to top Go down
Bunselpower
Project Manager
Bunselpower

Male

PostSubject: Re: Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament?   Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament? EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 2:31 pm

Showdown would be best. Until we get all of the pokes trained (wink wink) I would prefer to use showdown.
Back to top Go down
cmzoid
Cloner
cmzoid

Male

PostSubject: Re: Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament?   Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament? EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 3:50 pm

Mademoiselle C wrote:
Meeeehhhhh pls wait until my finals are over. XD

Please wait until her finals are over! I haven't made a team yet... O.O
Back to top Go down
Bunselpower
Project Manager
Bunselpower

Male

PostSubject: Re: Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament?   Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament? EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 3:56 pm

I did. Then I spilled water all over the piece of paper.
Back to top Go down
rafa
Breeder
rafa

Male

PostSubject: Re: Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament?   Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament? EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 4:12 pm

Bunselpower wrote:

lol that just happened to my hw yesterday Sad
Back to top Go down
cmzoid
Cloner
cmzoid

Male

PostSubject: Re: Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament?   Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament? EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 4:19 pm

Bunselpower wrote:

So clearly you are using a mono-water team... unless you are really using a mono-ground team and were conditioning it to better endure water... its definitely one of those, it makes too much sense not to be.
Back to top Go down
rafa
Breeder
rafa

Male

PostSubject: Re: Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament?   Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament? EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 4:27 pm

cmzoid wrote:
Bunselpower wrote:

So clearly you are using a mono-water team... unless you are really using a mono-ground team and were conditioning it to better endure water... its definitely one of those, it makes too much sense not to be.

lol

oooor something even bigger involving both water & ground types O.O he was testing mega Swampert *-* and, therefore, used Rain Dance. There's no denying it. That's it, right?!?!?!
Back to top Go down
cmzoid
Cloner
cmzoid

Male

PostSubject: Re: Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament?   Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament? EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 4:54 pm

rafa wrote:
cmzoid wrote:
Bunselpower wrote:

lol

oooor something even bigger involving both water & ground types O.O he was testing mega Swampert *-* and, therefore, used Rain Dance. There's no denying it. That's it, right?!?!?!

He's making us think he is using water to condition something, so we assume he is using ground, making us less likely to go against his mono-flying team with electric attacks O.O
Back to top Go down
bash678
Breeder
bash678

Male

PostSubject: Re: Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament?   Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament? EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 5:03 pm

Magikarpus wrote:
I assume people would prefer to do this in Showdown, although it would be nice to get a chance to use the pokemon we've been breeding at some point :3

I think Showdown is best for this. Personally, I'd like to battle over wifi using those I bred and those I received from here but probably almost everyone else still kept theirs untouched at Level 1.

Back to top Go down
Mademoiselle C
Goddess
Mademoiselle C

Female

PostSubject: Re: Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament?   Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament? EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 5:10 pm

Where's that quote from Bouncer when we need it? Something about what happens everytime zoid opens his mouth...
Back to top Go down
Bunselpower
Project Manager
Bunselpower

Male

PostSubject: Re: Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament?   Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament? EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 5:37 pm

The best way to get zoid worked up is to say absolutely nothing.
Back to top Go down
Dragon-Flower
Cloner
Dragon-Flower

PostSubject: Re: Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament?   Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament? EmptyFri Jan 09, 2015 4:18 pm

*crickets*
Back to top Go down
Magikarpus
Project Manager
Magikarpus

Male

PostSubject: Re: Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament?   Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament? EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 4:24 pm

Crickets acknowledged, I was holding back cause some people were swamped with holiday stuff (myself included tbf) but if everyone's free now I don't see why we can't start this week!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament?   Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament? Empty

Back to top Go down

Would anyone else be interested in a monotype tournament?
Page 1 of 1